International Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Each year on September 19th, pirates from all over break out their cutlasses, their ships, their treasure and their eye patches and begin to speak as God intended – Like a Pirate!
International Talk Like a Pirate Day (ITLaPD) happens each year and is a holiday of sorts for pirates all over the world. It is your chance to stretch your vocal legs and speak like a swabbie, a crew member, a scallywag, a buccaneer, a corsair – you know – a pirate. ITLaPD started as a laugh between a group of friends and has grown to be a real going concern. Yes, laddies and lasses, Ol’ Chumbucket and Cap’n Slappy have been bringing good piratey fun to the world for 10 years now and each year, I enjoy annoying my family and friends more and more.
For several years, ITLaPD was simply a gag between friends but, on September 8, 2002, acclaimed columnist and funny man, Dave Barry wrote an article about ITLaPD. It has since grown, and grown and grown. Now, you will find websites and people all over the country and yes even across the planet celebrating this great occasion. There is even a lead up to it on a lot of sites like Woot! that are having puzzles and contests to celebrate this… the greatest of all non-religious, non-patriotic and non-three-day-weekend-causing holidays. Break out your pirate gear, put on your good sword and do some pillaging.
Here are just a few ways that you might celelbrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day!
- Claim that piracy is your religion and take the day off. If they need proof, claim the Pope’s hat is a REALLLY big tricorne.
- Book Buckle and Swash to roam the streets of your hometown with you, causing havoc and mayhem.
- PoTC movie marathon – 1-4 back to back to back to back.
- Mount a mast and a sail on your car – just watch for overpasses.
- Go to Krispy Kreme (I will explain that below)
- Pirate Shanties – all-day – all-the-time!
- During the first meeting of the day, whip out your sword and MUTINY!
- Though HR might have an issue with it, wear your pirate garb to the office tomorrow.
- Make it Take Your Parrot to Work Day as well!
- Rum… copious amounts of RUM!
Krispy Kreme is now my favorite place for doughnuts! They are giving a free doughnut to each person that comes in and Talk Like a Pirate… AND… a free DOZEN to each person that comes in garb. Get that pirate gear on and go claim your booty or in this case your doughnuts.
Get too it, Mateys, TALK LIKE A PIRATE!
Talk Like a Pirate Day